Thursday, January 14, 2010

This Old Mare Ain't What She Used To Be

So Tuesday was my husband's 33rd birthday and I am thrilled that he has the same philosophy about birthdays as I do. Birthdays are holidays, in a sense, and are meant to be celebrated and made special. The only way to truly do this if your day happens to fall on a weekday is to take it off from work. Even though when I was teaching I didn't do this because if I did I would just sit home alone. Besides, first graders have an even better view on birthdays so they were always fun to share my day with. So when your wife is a stay at home mom, if you take the day off, you are most definitely not going to have to spend the day alone :)

A took the day off for two reasons. 1. because he worked the overnight shift on Monday and needed to sleep (a basic human right). 2. because it was his day and I told him we would do something fun! I had a nice little day planned for us. Thank goodness the babysitter was available for us to go on our "day date." We have both been wanting to see Avatar (a-w-e-s-o-m-e movie, nice job James Cameron) and the movie is 2 hours and 40 minutes long. I would never be able to stay awake for the whole thing if this were a night date so it's better to go to a matinee for this lengthy film. After the movie we would grab something to eat and then head home where our friends would meet us for cake and ice cream! One of my favorite things about my husband is his sweet request each year for his favorite cake - Pillsbury Funfetti. How cute is that? A grown man who requests a white cake dappled with rainbow sprinkles. Plus it is super easy to make - hello cake mix - so I am not complaining!

I was all excited after I put C down for her nap. This was my time to "get ready" for my date! Yippee, a date!

OH MY GOD. I had totally forgotten what "getting ready" entailed. For the love of God how did I get ready for work EVERY morning and then, on occasion, do the whole routine again if I had plans in the evening? I mean seriously, I am lucky to get my hair brushed (which has been happening less and less these days for some unknown reason), teeth brushed and face washed on a regular day. So I started my primping at around 1:05 pm. First a shower AND hair washing (woo-hoo). Second, moisturizing and full makeup application (ok, now I am starting to sweat). Third, a cute outfit which involved boots WITH heels and earrings which were NOT studs because I am pretty certain no one will be trying to yank them out of my ears. Lastly, this head of hair. I think I have as much hair has humanly possible. Now ladies, I know you understand this. Blow dry with a styling brush and to REALLY finish it off, ten minutes with hot rollers. Now I am really sweating and needing to stick my head out the door to let the tundra cool me down. After which I remove the hot rollers, run my fingers through my hair, spritz some hairspray on my locks and finish my lips with some gloss. I give myself the once over and am pleased BUT I am already exhausted and I notice it's 2:04pm. ONE WHOLE HOUR OF MY LIFE to prepare to go out with the man who sees me everyday looking like I am on the brink of death. Now if that isn't love then I don't know what is.

The best part is that when he came back from the gym, he noticed. He complimented my outfit and that made it all worth while. I guess it's easy to notice an outfit when I am usually wearing Guitar Hero themed pajama pants and an oversized t-shirt covered in dog hair, yogurt and drool. I won't tell him that I am totally wiped out from preparing for this date. Who cares if I fall asleep from exhaustion caused by getting ready. At least my eyelids will look nice since I took the time to put on eyeshadow. Then again, it is a 3D movie which means I'll be wearing special glasses. No one will know if I am sleeping!

The movie was fantastic (so good in fact that I didn't even doze off once) and a dinner at the Outback is always a treat. The babysitter even managed to put C to sleep before we got home at 7:30. Although I was sad that I didn't get to say goodnight to her, it was a treat to enjoy our company, cake and the first night of American Idol. I hope my husband had as much fun on his birthday as I did.

I hope you take the time to do something fun on your special day. After all, you deserve it! Happy Birthday A!

No comments:

Post a Comment