Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Dream Come True

When I quickly awoke to my husband's alarm this morning at 6am, I thought something was terribly wrong. C hadn't woken up AT ALL last night. No whining, muttering, crying, wet diapers, need for milk - at say 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am - nothing. Complete silence. That doesn't mean that I didn't wake up on my own and have a spoonful of ice cream and a piece of bread at 12am, but that's besides the point. That's my own vice and I'm hoping to grow out of it (before it causes me to grow out of my clothes).

She actually slept all night! You may be thinking that she's like four months old or something, but at almost fourteen months old, she hasn't slept through the night in probably the last seven months. I've just resigned to the fact that my kid doesn't sleep. The other day at music class another mother and I watched as our children made googlie eyes at one another and ran the room looking for mischief. She asked, "Are you totally exhausted at night? Because I am." I answered with a "for sure" yes and also added that C didn't sleep well at night on top of being super active throughout the day. I've actually given up that it will even happen. I've managed to learn to function on fragmented sleep - minus the time I left the house door wide open, went out and forgot, came home to discover the open door, freaked out, called 911 and realized when the police arrived that it was just me and I forgot...but that's another post.

I should have known that she would sleep like a rock last night. After swim class we took C and Q for a walk and she was so, so tired. The good kind of tired where she just lays in her stroller, so calm and peaceful staring up at you and then the sky as her blinks get slower and slower and her eyes begin to droop right in front of you. That's the great kind of tired vs. the "screaming and kicking off of shoes tired" that happens when mommy's pushed the limit at Target.

She went down instantly when we got back from our walk and I didn't hear her until 6:45 this morning when her eyes popped open and she was ready to say, "Good morning WORLD!"

The best part about not waking in the night is that she didn't have to have the every so necessary BOTTLE to go back to sleep at 4:45, that's right, at fourteen months I still hand over a bottle full of warm milk at this God awful hour to get her to go back to sleep. Worst parenting mistake. It wasn't until she was like 9 months old that I read an article somewhere that after like 5 months they shouldn't need to eat in the night. I was all "WHHHAAATTTT???" I created a nighttime bottle monster because I didn't READ THE BOOKS.

I've been trying so hard to transition her to sippy cups instead of bottles, which has been quite the challenge I tell you. I finally found one, after seeing my friend's son with one. A munchkin soft straw cup, that she will actually use. I have this mental problem though. I won't consider her graduated from a bottle to a sippy cup until she will use the kind that has the traditional hard spout with three holes in it. You know, a sippy cup.

Anyway, it was such a milestone reached when I realized that she slept all night, was able to take her downstairs, warm some milk (she likes her drinks warm, sweet princess), put it in her "sippy" cup and have her drink it with her giant blue stuffed bear in the living room! What a great feeling!

Now I'm sure that this will not happen again tonight, but I will celebrate this accomplishment for the next fourteen hours and look forward to the next time it happens!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on this new accomplishment, my four year old still wakes up in the middle of the night somtimes. Sigh, at least it isnt every night. (glass half full you know)

    ReplyDelete