Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Next American Idol?

Considering I'm an American Idol fan, I think it's appropriate that little C had her first Grow With Me Music class today, the day of the season 8 finale. It was precious to be on the other side of the fence, so to say. I always had a slight sense of annoyance when parents would show up with their child to class early to "look around." I felt like that was secret code for "we want to check up on you." Everyday you learn something new...

Even though the class was 3.2 miles from my house, we left 35 minutes before class was scheduled to begin - I didn't want to be late, God forbid, and interrupt by coming AFTER the welcome song had already been sung! We got there fifteen minutes early, which was just enough time to get a library card while we waited. Ms. Barb, our teacher, kindly asked little C and I to wait in the hall "because class will begin in 15 minutes" and "I'll open the door to welcome you in at that time" (as Ms. Barb smiles). Yikes! I've done that smile and said those lines before! Really Ms. Barb, I'm just happy we made it and I know you are lovely, I'm not spying on you. We'll wait outside, point taken :)

The kids in the class were ADORABLE and C was the youngest member of the class. You have to be eleven months to participate and she will be...tomorrow. Everyone else could stand on their own and all but one other girl walked. C didn't let any of this hold her back.

As the welcome song was about to begin, she crawled off my lap, straight across the circle and "gently" used Ms. Barb's limbs to stand herself up RIGHT NEXT TO THE TEACHER as SHE WAS TRYING TO SING AND TEACH! That's my girl! She preferred to sit next to Ms. Barb, near Ms. Barb, and did I mention, ON Ms. Barb! I looked like I was there alone without a child! It was so interesting that she knew that Ms. Barb was in charge, out of all of those new people... She was amazed by all of the singing and movement activities. She even clapped at one point! Who cares if it was after the clapping portion of the song? She's so talented.

She got the chance to play with egg shakers, instruments, and scarves. We sang songs and danced around, patted our legs and pointed to our toes. We hugged and swayed, ran and walked.

What an amazing gift to be able to experience all these things with your child. I don't know who is more excited for next week, me or C! I think the highlight was when she got a musical note stamped on her hand at the end of the class. How cute is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment