Friday, April 17, 2009

A Beautiful Day at the Park

Today was, by far, the nicest spring day we've had yet. Unfortunately, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I plodded through my morning routine which consists of me standing outside in my pjs waiting for Q to do his business only to return inside and have him poop on the floor, change C's diaper, clean the floor, change C's diaper, take the puppy outside, you get the picture. It didn't get any better when I got the expected news from my Jenny Craig consultant that I had gained a pound this week. Damn chocolate Easter bunnies! I knew I shouldn't have given myself the privilege to indulge on Easter. It ended up being a three day eating fest. Well not a total eating fest, but the chocolate was calling my name before, during and after Easter, and I was answering.

After C's morning nap we went out for a walk. Things were looking up. I was embracing the sunshine and enjoying the fact that she was enjoying this ride in her stroller, because that is not always the case. As we walked, I was trying to think of something fun that we could do for the afternoon before she needed to take her afternoon nap. There is a very pretty park near our house and I've been wanting to take some outside pictures of C and Q together. This sounded like the perfect, free way to spend this beautiful afternoon - free of calories and cost.

C got dressed up in a pretty white and brown polka dot dress - to match Q's coloring, of course. I loaded the baby in her car seat and the puppy in his crate and we hit the park. It was a bit tricky carrying the puppy in one arm and pushing the stroller through pine cones and needles with the other. I managed to reach my desired location and take some cute shots. My subjects were very cooperative and enthralled by the pine cones and needles. What a great afternoon! And free! I love free things, especially when I really enjoy myself. I couldn't wait to get home and upload the photos to the computer and check them out.

As I schlepped the kids to the car my cell phone started ringing from inside my sweatshirt pocket. I managed to reach in and check the caller ID. It was M, my dear friend and bride to be. Being her matron of honor and knowing that she was at Crate and Barrel registering for plates, I NEEDED to take this call despite the fact that I could barely juggle holding the puppy and pushing the stroller. I mean, this could be a bridal emergency. The call only lasted a few seconds before I lost service. I returned, I thought, my cell phone to my pocket and packed up the kids in the car. We took a leisurely drive to the ATM and then back home again.

It wasn't until I was home for a while that I realized she had never called me back to consult over the seasonal plates. When I went to my pocket to retrieve my phone, guess what? It wasn't there, or in the car, or in the kitchen, or in the pack and play, or the toy box, or outside.

I immediately emailed M, because I do not have a land line, and had her call me. Not a ring to be heard in my house despite her three calls. The phone was gone. I lost my life line. Thoughts were racing through my head - now I can get an iphone!, ugh! now I have to put all the contact information in AGAIN, now I can get an iphone!, where is my pretty eggplant colored phone, now I can get an iphone! Although this was terrible I bet you can tell there was a little bit of excitement over this tragedy.

Then I get another email from M with this subject line SOMEONE HAS YOUR PHONE. Now I feel violated! Someone is holding my purple phone. MY purple phone, in THEIR stranger hands. This is scary. Before I could get the info out to M to NOT give them my address, she gave them my address. Now scary strangers are coming to my house not to bring me my phone but to steal me and C and Q and take us to a strange place. I'm sure of it. Bad people stalk parks and find phones and then do terrible things to their owners. I mean could there really be kind, thoughtful people out there in the world? People who would be willing to help a stranger? No. They are going to kidnap us. I'm scared.

Luckily B, my neighbor, was home and she came and sat with me until the scary people came to return my phone. I waited nervously until the navy blue Honda Accord pulled into my driveway. I peered through the sheer curtains, as if they could not see me, to survey the situation. They look like normal people. Here she comes, up to my door, purple phone in her hand. I go outside and get the phone. Low and behold she was nervous to meet ME and SHE didn't want ME to have her address. Imagine...not having enough faith that I would be normal. The nerve of people...

So it did turn out to be a beautiful day after all. A beautiful photo opportunity, beautiful sunshine and beautiful strangers. My purple phone is home at last sitting beside me on the couch. My life line, returned. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! That is the sweetest photo. It really deserves a frame. Really.

    So glad you got your phone back. Does this mean no new iPhone? :(

    ReplyDelete