Tuesday, April 7, 2009

New Life

My babies keep me busy. I have an even higher level of respect for parents who successfully managed to stay alive while raising multiples. I mean, how do you do this with more than one human baby at a time? I'm running circles caring for and tending to the needs of one human and one canine, I can't even imagine if they were both human...

Today I left C, for the first time, with our babysitter (who is now on my favorite person list)for a couple of hours. Are you thinking I went to the spa, or hung out at a fancy coffee shop chatting it up with some friends? Think again. I had a cavity (6 months overdue) filled and my teeth cleaned. I feel like a new woman. I have to admit though, I had 34 minutes to spare after the appointment so I did dart (literally ran through the parking lot) into Marshalls and shopped like I was a part of one of those "fill your cart in one minute" game shows. I grabbed everything I thought that I (and C) would like and paid. What a rush. A complete high. The shopping trip coupled with my clean teeth - I feel like I can conquer the world. I might even be awake for American Idol tonight, that's how pumped I am.

I'm overwhelmed with just how precious new life is. My daughter, she's just plain amazing to me, and I can't imagine my life without her. I near cried when I got home from my afternoon out. When she saw me, her face lit up and she smiled from ear to ear. I purposefully stayed at the doorway to the living room and let her stare at me in awe. If she could talk I know she would have said, "Mommy! I'm so happy to see you! I was wondering where you were." Her body language said what she was thinking. She automatically plopped onto her belly from her sitting position and used all of her strength to slither/army crawl/pull/push herself towards me. I wanted to hug her and hold her so bad, but I was patient and I waited for her to make it all the way to me. Holding her on my lap was perfect. Marshalls was fun and my teeth feel great, but having her in my arms is always the best part of my day.

Are you wondering about little Quinn? That guy might as well be a piranha! Holy macaroni, those teeth are like razors! If you could see through my windows I bet you would think my floors are on fire. I'm hopping all over the place trying to get my slippers, shoes, socks, and pant legs free from his amazingly strong jaws. His head is no bigger than a grapefruit, but man, those jaws have some serious power. Which brings me to my next challenge. Q and C CANNOT be on the floor together at the same time. No way Jose. This has led to the discovery of my new talent! Uncovering new talents makes me feel so proud :) Well, I'M pretty good at being a human gate and providing an adequate barrier between the two of them! Good thing my living room is tiny because I'm only 5'2". So if I strategically place my head near the couch and my feet at the base of the coffee table (which is really one of those leather trunk things, but it basically is just a fireplace blocker now) I can separate the living room into two parts: one for C and one for Q! Perfect...until one of them learns how to jump hurdles...

It's been really fun to watch Quinn explore and discover new things on his second day with us. Today he found the infamous Mr. Potato Head. It was bittersweet to see Mr. PH back in action...

2 comments:

  1. Oh man. I can relate on so many levels.

    Glad you had a change to make s visit Marshalls. That place can definitely give a drug-like high ;)

    Raising a child and dog has many challenges. For us it's become a bit better over time. The dog has become used to the hair pulling, and she's come to realize that over time, she just keeps growing bigger and bigger, and the dog doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on Quinn. The name is perfect and he's adorable!

    ReplyDelete