Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dogs Don't Eat Yogurt

Apparently, my dog is a health food junkie. Perhaps this is because he only eats the finest puppy food and all natural wild berry flavored puppy treats.

He is much different than Finster in the way that Quincy actually stands at his empty food dish and scratches the inside of the empty bowl and drags the dish across the floor. The clamoring, scratching, and banging of the stainless steel dish would be a clear sign to anyone that the dog is hungry. Fin NEVER did that. He ate when I put the food down and that was it. I'm perplexed because if Q is this smart, why can't he figure out the whole "cry at the door" thing when he has to pee or poop? He'd rather pop a squat wherever.

So mid morning today was no different than any other mid morning since Quinn came to our family. He's not a good breakfast eater so around 10, he's hungry again. I know I shouldn't give in and feed him until lunch, but it is heartbreaking to see a little baby puppy sitting next to his dish, head cocked to the side, staring into your eyes and whining. Ok, you win.

So I pour another scoop of dog food into his bowl and he begins to chow down. I decide that I too should have my mid morning snack. Today it was vanilla yogurt with a few frozen blueberries mixed in.

As soon as Q was finished with his second helping of breakfast he came to my feet and started jumping and barking and whining. This time I said absoutely not! You are not getting ANOTHER helping. Come to find out, he wanted MY yogurt. I actually found myself saying aloud, "Dogs don't eat yogurt." And then I started thinking that maybe since he likes his wild berry flavored treats, he'd enjoy a frozen blueberry. And what do you know?

At first he was puzzled by this little, cold, round ball that was touching his lips. Like any cautious doggie, he put it on the floor and danced around it for a bit. He'd bite it and spit it out and jump back from it. He rolled it around the kitchen floor and lost it once inside the mess of his rope toy. When he found it, he gobbled it right up. He had three others after that one.

Before you know it he'll be trading in the Eukanuba for a Jenny Craig Turkey Burger. Does PetCo sell tofu? I think that might be where we are heading with his diet.

2 comments: