Monday, April 20, 2009

I Thought You Were A Mom

A few weeks ago I realized that I broke one of the cardinal elementary school rules. My library books are over ten months overdue. Even though I took the 20 minute ride to work everyday for two years, now it seems like the school is on the other side of the country. So when I travel to that area I always have at least two things that need to be done. Luckily for me, the best mall around is also in that town, so that's one of my two necessary reasons to venture to that part of the country. Today I decided that we'd return the library books before hitting the mall. Isn't that mature of me to do the necessary errand first?

I always feel such overwhelming happiness when I return to the school. It's great to reconnect with so many adults and children alike. I'm always surprised at how much the kids have grown since the last time I have seen them. It's so fun to run into them in the hallway and to witness their stunned expressions when they realize it's me, minus the nine month pregnant belly, their long lost first grade teacher.

Today was no different. Except one of my little girls from last year spotted me holding little C in the hallway. I could see her wheels turning and her eyes squinting to see if she recognized this sort of familiar person in front of her. I said, "Hi G!" and she said, "Oh, Mrs. C! I thought you were a mom!"

Ok, let's stop for a minute and process this comment...

What exactly does that mean? Now that I AM a mom, I'm always very perplexed by this whole "you look like a mom" thing. What does a mom look like? Because everything I was wearing was a part of my pre-pregnancy wardrobe so does this "look" have to do with my aging face and dark under eye circles. Is it that obvious that a second grader can pick up on it?

So did little G mean that she thought I looked like a mom, but then she realized I didn't look like a mom, because that would make me sad if she thought I resembled an awkward teenager. Or did she mean she thought I was a mom, but then she got closer and realized that it was her youthful first grade teacher, meaning that I look way younger than a mom should look - in a good way. Or did she mean, I know you don't work here anymore because you are a mom now, but now you are here so I am confused. I'm sure she meant none of the above and if I were to ask her today, she'd put her hands behind her back, sway side to side, tilt her head to the side, smile at me and say, "I don't knooww."

Of course my reaction was, "I am a mom, silly! C and I came to visit you all!" And she just smiled and stared at me and said, "C is big."

If only second graders could make themselves better understood and 31 year old stay at home moms could be secure enough to realize that she meant no harm by her innocent comment.

It's a good thing my mall purchases consisted of items solely from Sephora. Hopefully Philosophy's "Hope in a Jar" moisturizer and "Hope in a Tube" under eye cream will help this situation of premature aging!

2 comments:

  1. I have a first grader at home and they say the darnest things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. I'm sure it's because you were holding little C. But let me know if that Hope in a Tube and Jar work out. This 31 yr old stay at home mom is seeking help, too :)

    ReplyDelete